Monday 16 November 2009

Cams & Spark plug

The shape of the cam is very basic

For this I decided to use a cylinder and cut away the unnecessary parts. The problem I found was that it left gaps between vertices.


The solution was to use poly mode and draw in polys so that the entire model was connected together.



The shape of this model is quite rough, but due to the cams not being in direct view of the camera the detail did not have to be high.

The spark plug was a much harder shape to model. I decided to use a box modelling technique to produce this.

By using information found on the internet I was able to setup a reference plane to guide for me to follow.



To start with I had a cylinder split into multiple height sections. Using both the movement tool as well as the scaling tools I was able to adjust the edges and manouvre the vertices into position. The scale tool was beneficial as it allowed me to move the outside edges and keep the rounded shape.



The group agreed that the sparkplug would be used towards the animation. Here Rob was able to teach me how to use the slice modifier, using a simple technique he taught me that it could be used to display work in an interesting way within animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment