Wednesday 21 October 2009

Lips and attaching the ear

Since getting used to the UVW mapping, I have gone back over the modelling and produced lips as well as attached the ears to the head.

To produce the lips I decided to extrude edges from around the space where the mouth should be. Using the same technique used for the head, I based the vertices for depth and width using the reference plates.



A problem that I had when setting up the lips was knowing how many quads to have. When smoothing the lips I found that the top lip appeared considerably thinner than the bottom lip. I found this was due to not extruding the edges far enough.



Attaching the ear:

The next stage was to attach the ear, from the initial modelling of the ear I was extremely pleased with the amount of detail that I managed to get.

But I soon stumbled across problems when trying to attach it to the head.

The initial problem was finding what vertices on the ear should be attached to the head. The main reason for this was I was getting confused what were vertices of the ear, and what were the head as it just looked like a giant mess.



The next problem I came to was the vertices that seemed the most obvious to weld to the head, were not welding. When using target weld you usually select what one you'd like to move, and what vertex to move it to. Some of the vertices that I was selecting welded fine, but every so often I'd find a vertex that just wouldn't weld.




This lead to me having to adjust the modelling of the ear. To do this I had to delete vertices and then redraw quads. During this process I managed to make a mistake which lead to a loss in modelling quality of the ear.



I believe this happend due to deleting incorrect vertices. If time wasn't an issue then I would go back over the ear and reattach it with the level of detail that I had before. I believe that this version (above) is still acceptable for the purpose of the project. With this now complete I will now move on to producing the texture of the character using UVW mapping and Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment